Portuguese Golden Visa
Portuguese Golden Visa programme is an investment immigration programme targeted at non-EU citizens aiming to obtain Portuguese residency or citizenship.
Under this regime, citizens of non-EU states who make certain investments may obtain a residence permit in Portugal. This permit allows its holder to enter and reside in Portuguese territory, as well as to move freely in most European countries and countries within the Schengen Agreement Area. Immediate family members of the main applicant may also apply for a residence permit under this programme.
Golden Visa holders enjoy the rights of Portuguese residents, such as access to free education, healthcare and social security.
In the long term, this authorisation may allow the acquisition of Portuguese nationality and, consequently, European citizenship.
II. Main Requirements and Eligibility
- Over 18 years of age;
- No criminal record;
- Entry in Portugal with a valid Schengen visa.
Eligible Family Members
- Unmarried children under the age of 18;
- Children over 18 years of age who are unmarried, full-time students; and financially dependent on their parents;
- Parents aged 66 or above.
Minimum Stay Requirements
- Year 1 – 7 days of minimum stay in Portugal;
- Years 2-3 – 14 days of minimum stay in Portugal over the course of two years;
- Years 4-5 – 14 days of stay in Portugal over the course of two years.
III. Golden Visa Eligible Investments
The Golden Visa Programme encompasses several types of investment in Portugal:
- Real Estate Investments
- Capital Investments
- Job Creation / Business Investments
- Arts / Science Patronage
1. Real Estate Investments
- Acquisition of property worth more than €500,000 in eligible areas of Portugal, or €400,000 if in a low-density area;
- Acquisition of property with at least 30 years, in an urban rehabilitation area, for a minimum of €350,000 or, if in a low-density area, €280,000 and refurbishment of the said property;
Note: Residential properties in certain areas (e.g. Lisbon, Porto, and certain coastal areas of the Portuguese mainland) are not eligible investments for a Portuguese Golden Visa. Commercial properties are not subject to geographical restrictions as well as residential properties in Madeira and Azores Islands
2. Capital Investments
- Acquisition of participation units in eligible venture capital or investment funds, in an amount of €500,000 or above; or
- Bank deposit of €1.5 million or above; or
3. Job Creation / Business Investments
- Creation of a business employing ten individuals or more; or;
- Investment of at least €350,000 in the incorporation or capitalisation of a Portuguese company, together with the creation of 5 jobs or more lasting for a minimum of three years.
4. Arts / Science Patronage
- Investment in the minimum amount of €250,000, in art production, or the restoration and maintenance of national cultural heritage; or
- Investment in the minimum amount of €500,000 for scientific research purposes.
CFB has significant experience in handling Golden Visa cases, and we will happily assess your case and the best available solution for you and your family.
We also have solid partnerships with reputed Portuguese law firms, which will help us ensure that you and your family enjoy a streamlined process, duly guided by a legal team throughout all the relevant steps.
If you need more information, or if you are seeking to apply for a Golden Visa, feel free to contact us for more information.